Librarian is one the popular job among readers. There are a lot of students who love reading and want to become a librarian as a profession. Are you one of those people who love reading books, magazines, current affairs, general knowledge, newspaper, etc? If yes, then librarian is one of the good professions for you.
Some people think that the librarian profession has not a good scope in the future but they don’t aware of the growth of educational institutes all around the world.
There are more than 840 thousand schools and 40 thousand colleges running in India. The developing rate of growth of these education institutes is increasing every year.
The majority of the institutes have a library and every library has a minimum of one librarian. One more thing there are a lot of cities in India as well as abroad that have a library centre for people.
So, the librarian profession has a good scope in the future.
In this article, I will discuss the details of librarian courses to do after 12th and graduation. So let’s move towards.
A librarian is a person who works in a library. Librarians’ works are to maintain the records of library material like books, magazines, comics, etc. A librarian can know all details about the library where he/she works. He knows which types of books are in which position. Librarians know which publisher books are available in the library and which are not. Librarian is a person who issues books to people or students.
Library:- A library is a place in which thousands of books and reading materials are kept for people. The library has a collection of resources for readers. People go to a public library for reading. Almost every institute has a library for its students. In your school time, you have been seen library and maybe you self-studied in your school library. In India there are mainly four types of libraries are divided.
- Academic Library
- Public Library
- Special Library
- National Library
Are you interested in librarian courses then don’t worry a lot of institutes in India as well as abroad provide librarian courses to students? If yes, then you can do a librarian course after 12th and after graduation. Both government and private institutes in India provide librarian courses. There are several types of librarian programs are offered by colleges and universities.
Certificate Level Librarian Courses
- Certificate in Library Science
- Certificate in Library and Information Science
Diploma Level Librarian Courses
- Diploma in Library Science
- Diploma in Library and Information Science
Undergraduate Level Librarian Courses
- Bachelor in Library Science (B.lib)
- Bachelor in Library and Information Science (B.lisc)
Postgraduate Level Librarian Courses
- Postgraduate in Library Science
- PG Diploma in Library Automation and Networking
- PG in Library and Information Science
- M.Phill in Library and Information Science
- PhD in Library and Information Science
Eligibility Criteria for Librarian Courses
|Certificate Level Courses||1. Candidate must have passed in 12th.|
2. Candidate should be passed by a recognized board of education.
3. All stream students are eligible for Certificate Level Courses.
|Diploma Level Courses||1. Candidate must have passed in 12th.|
2. Candidate should be passed by a recognized board of education.
3. All stream students are eligible for Diploma Level Courses.
|UG Level Courses||1. Candidate must have passed in graduation from any discipline.|
2. Candidate should be passed from a recognized university.
|PG Level Courses||1. Candidates who completed their bachelor’s degree in B.lib or B.lisc can pursue these PG courses.|
2. Candidate completed their UG from a recognized university.
Duration for Librarian Courses
|Certificate in Library Science|
Certificate in Library Science and Information Science
|6 Months to 1 Year|
|Diploma in Library Science|
Diploma in Library Science and Information Science
|Bachelor in Library Science (B.lib)|
Bachelor in Library and Information Science (B.lisc)
|Postgraduate in Library Science|
PG Diploma in Library Automation and Networking
|PG in Library and Information Science|
M.Phill in Library and Information Science
|1 Year to 2 Year|
|PhD in Library and Information Science||2 Year to 3 Year|
The admission process depends on the level of librarian courses you take. Different courses have different eligibility criteria for admission. Some private college has their own eligibility criteria for admission. Even some colleges take the entrance examinations for taking admission. I will explain the common procedure for admission in simple steps. You can either do the admission process in online mode or offline mode.
- Visit the official website of your interested college and fill out the application form by submitting your details.
- After submitting the application form you will ask to upload certain documents like your mark sheet.
- After uploading documents the next step is to pay your admission fees for your preferred course.
- Now you get a receipt for your submitted application and fees.
- The last step is to visit the college and submit your document physically.
- You have successfully done all the steps. Now you are free to attend your, classes, for the librarian course.
- In the offline method, you have to do all the same above procedures in an offline way by visiting the college.
- If you have been given entrance then you should attend the counselling round. From that, you get your allotment letter. After getting the allotment letter you visit your allotted college and take admission.
Librarian Job Opportunities
It has an adequate amount of job opportunities for librarian aspirants. There are a lot of educational institutes you can work in. Some of the job areas are given below.
Librarian Job Area
- Public Libraries
- School Libraries
- College Libraries
- Private Educational Institutes
- Government Educational Institutes
- Educational Offices
- Educational Organizations
Librarian Job Profile
- Record Manager
- Library Assistant
- Deputy Librarian
- Data Management
- Information Assistant
On average a fresher librarian would get ₹10,000 to ₹20,000 per month i.e. ₹1,20,000 to ₹2,40,000 per annum.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is librarian is a good career?
Yes, it is a good career option and it has low competition.
Can I do a librarian course after 12th?
Yes, you can do a certificate and diploma librarian course after 12th.
Is there any entrance exam for getting admission in librarian course?
Some colleges have their own entrance exam for admission.
What is the duration of diploma in library courses?
Who is the father of Library science?
Shiyali Ramamrita Ranganathan
Above you get details about librarian courses. I hope you get your answer from this blog. If you have any queries then do comment down below. I will try to respond as soon as possible.