Have you had a passion for becoming a mechanic since childhood? If yes, and you want to become a mechanic by passing your 10th as soon as possible. ITI diesel mechanic is one of the best courses for students who want to become a mechanic after 10th. But the problem for you is that you do not know the complete details about Diesel Mechanic ITI course very well.
So I would like to tell you that your search is over now because you have landed at the right place. In this article, I will share the complete info about the ITI Diesel Mechanic course in a very simple way.
Students also choose the mechanic diesel trade apart from their interest because they want any course which is job-oriented and diesel mechanic ITI is one of the short-term and job-oriented courses after 10th.
ITI Diesel Mechanic is a short-term job-oriented course with a duration of 1 year. The diesel mechanic trade is largely related to branches like mechanical and automation as machines are used in all these branches.
ITI colleges offer mechanic diesel trade to students after 10th, which means that students can take admission to this course after 10th. However, not all ITI colleges offer mechanic diesel trade, there are some ITI colleges that offer diesel mechanic trade.
ITI Diesel Mechanic Engine Course: Overview
|Course||Industrial Training Institute (ITI)|
|Trade Name||Diesel Mechanic Engine|
|Level of Course||Certificate|
|Course Fees||₹500 – ₹5,000 (Government)|
₹5,000 – ₹50,000 (Private)
|Jobs Salary||₹10,000 to ₹15,000 per month|
What is Diesel Mechanic Course in ITI?
ITI Diesel Mechanic is a 1-year short-term vocational training program in which you are taught about various types of machines which run with the help of diesel fuel. In this course, you will get a chance to know different aspects of Diesel Mechanic.
In this course, you will be taught to perform alignment and adjustments, maintain diesel-run equipment pieces and rectify defects in vehicles through practical training.
Diesel mechanic is kept on the list of good trades because it is such a course that you can get a job quickly by doing it. In this course, you will study about different types of diesel engines such as Internal Combustion Engines, External Combustion Engines, and Reaction Engines.
You will learn about the different types of tools and equipment used to assemble and disassemble engine parts. Moreover, you will also get basic knowledge of fuel and lubrication used in machines.
Diesel Mechanic ITI Trade is provided through the Director General of Training (DGT) in ITI colleges under the Craftsman Training Scheme (CTS). There are also many trades offered by DGT under the Craftsman Training Scheme apart from Diesel Mechanic Course.
ITI Diesel Mechanic Eligibility
There are some eligibility criteria which you have to fulfil before taking admission in the ITI diesel mechanic course. These criteria are applicable to both government institutes as well as private institutes. The eligibility criteria are as follows:
- Candidates must have passed in class 10th examination from a recognized board of education.
- The candidate’s age should be at least 14 years.
- Many institutes or colleges conduct entrance tests before admission. So, if you want to take admitted to those institutes or colleges then you have to qualify for their entrance exam and get the proper cut-off.
ITI Diesel Mechanic Syllabus 2023
|S No.||ITI Diesel Mechanic Subjects|
|1||Professional Knowledge (Theory)|
|2||Professional Skills (Practical)|
ITI Diesel Mechanic syllabus 2022:- Syllabus is divided into two-semester. Each semester has 6 months of duration.
ITI Diesel Mechanic First Semester Syllabus
Trade Theory (Professional Knowledge)
- Introduction to Engine
- Occupational Safety and Health
- Electrical Safety Tips
- Hand and Power Tools
- Systems of Measurement
- Fasteners, Gaskets
- Cutting Tools
- Limits, Fits, and Tolerances
- Drilling Machine
- Taps and Dies
- Hand Reamers
- Sheet Metal
- Basic Electricity
- Basic Electronics
- Introduction to Welding and Heat Treatment
- Welding Processes
- Heat Treatment Process
- Non-destructive Testing Methods
- Introduction to Hydraulics & Pneumatics
Trade Practical (Professional Skills)
- Demonstration of Machinery
- Safety Gear/PPE
- Importance of Maintenance
- Demonstration of Health Hazards
- Perform use of Fire Extinguishers
- Energy Saving Tips
- Measure Valve Spring Tension
- Operate General Workshop Tools & Power Tools
- Perform Practice on General Cleaning
- Perform Removal of Stud/Bolt from Blind Hole
- Practice Cutting Tools like Hacksaw, Chisel
- Safety Precautions while Grinding
- Soldering and Brazing
- Dilling and Marking
- Adjustment of Two Piece
- Perform testing battery with a hydrometer
- Oxy – Acetylene welding
- Practice on Dismantling
ITI Diesel Mechanic Second Semester Syllabus
Trade Theory (Professional Knowledge)
- Diesel Engine Components
- Valves and Value Actuating
- Connecting Rod, Fly Wheel, Cylinder Bock
- Engine Assembly
- Need for Cooling Systems
- Basic Cooling System Components
- Need for Lubrication System
- Splash System
- Intake and Exhaust Systems
- Intake System Components
- Exhaust System Components
- Fuel Feed System in IC Engine (Petrol & Diesel)
- Diesel Fuel Systems and Its Components
- Electronic Diesel Control
- Marine and Stationary Engine
- Emission Control
Trade Practical (Professional Skills)
- Overhauling of Cylinder Head Assembly
- Inspection of Cylinder Head and Manifold Surfaces for Warping
- Dismantle Rocker Shaft Assembly
- Practice Removing Oil Sump and Oil Pump
- Perform Removing the Big End Bearing
- Removing the Piston Rings
- Inspect oil retainer and thrust surfaces for wear
- Demonstrate Crank Shaft for Fillet Radii, Bend & Twist
- Check Vibration Damper for Defects
- Checking of Cylinder Blocks
- Perform practice in measuring and refitting new liners
- Perform testing cylinder compression
- Perform test cooling system pressure
- Test of Thermostat
- Dismantling Air Compressor and Exhauster
- General Maintenance of Fuel Injection Pumps
- Checking & Cleaning a Positive Crank Case Ventilation
- Execute Troubleshooting in LMV/HMV for Engine Not Starting
ITI Diesel Mechanic Course Duration
The duration of the ITI Diesel Mechanic course is 1 year and the period of 1 year is further divided into two semesters. Each semester consists of 6 months of duration. All the subjects are allotted some hours of study so that the teachers can complete the syllabus on time.
|1. Professional Skill (Trade Practical)||1000|
|2. Professional Knowledge (Trade Theory)||280|
|3. Workshop Calculation & Science||80|
|4. Engineering Drawing||80|
|5. Employability Skills||160|
ITI Diesel Mechanic Course Fees
Diesel Mechanic ITI fees is depending on the institution. However, government ITI institutes have lesser fees as compared to private ITI institutes.
I give you an idea of Diesel Mechanic ITI course fees that are based on my experience. SC/ST students get fewer fees than the General and OBC categories students.
- Government Institute:- ₹500 – ₹5,000
- Private Institute:- ₹5,000 – ₹50,000
ITI Diesel Mechanic Admission 2023
The admission procedure for the Diesel Mechanic ITI course varies from college to college. I mean to say that in some states ITI admission is done on the basis of a merit list, and in some states, an entrance exam is conducted.
For example – in West Bengal government ITI colleges, admission is done by qualifying an entrance exam which is conducted by West Bengal State Education Board and in states like Rajasthan, admission in government ITI colleges is done on the basis of a merit list which is released by Rajasthan State Education Board.
I hope you already know some basic steps like form filling and registration which you have to take in order to go through the admission process.
The admission process generally starts in the month of May and fully completes admission in the month of July. However, you must check the official website of your respective state education board for more clarity.
Admission Date:- May to July
Note:- Registration fees may be charged at the time of form submission.
ITI Diesel Mechanic Book
|Mechanic Diesel ITI Complete Set (All Subjects)||By Naseem A, Dinesh Puri|
|ITI Mechanic Diesel Theory + Practical (Combo)||By Aarihant|
|ITI Mechanic Diesel Theory (1 Year)||By Manish Sharma|
|ITI Mechanic Diesel Practical (1 Year)||By Manish Sharma|
|ITI Mechanic Diesel Handbook||By NK Editorial Panel|
|NK NIMI Pattern Basic Engineering Drawing Mechanic Diesel||By Sanjeev Bhargav and Santosh Chauhan|
|NK NIMI Pattern Workshop and Science||By Sanjeev Bhargav and Mukesh Mathur|
|NK ITI Mechanic Diesel Handbook||By Generic|
|Asian Mechanic Diesel||By G. S. Sethi|
|Royal ITI Mechanic Diesel Theory||By Generic|
ITI Diesel Mechanic Jobs
As Industrialization is booming in India. It creates a lot of job opportunities. The number of factories is increasing day by day and it also creates a demand for diesel mechanics in the market. So Diesel Mechanic has a good scope in future. You can work in any factory as a diesel mechanic operator or helper.
ITI Diesel Mechanic Salary
Salary depends on your skills. It may be high or it may be low but on average, a fresher could get around ₹10,000 to ₹15,000 per month i.e. ₹1,20,000 to ₹1,80,000 per annum.
- Candidates should know about AC and DC current.
- Candidates should know about machine parts.
- Candidates should know about basic tools.
- Candidates should know some safety precautions.
- Automobile Mechanic
- Diesel Engine Technician
- Engine Mechanic
- Tool Operator
Career Options after ITI Diesel Mechanic
- A diploma in Mechanical Engineering is one of the best courses after diesel mechanic ITI.
- You can do your higher secondary education i.e. 12th.
- You can do other vocational courses.
- You can do diploma courses after ITI in Diesel Mechanic course.
- You can apply for the apprenticeship program.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is the scope of diesel mechanic?
The scope of the diesel mechanic trade is going to be very wide in future because as the industry grows, so will employment opportunities.
How many semesters are there in the diesel mechanic course?
There are 2 semesters in the diesel mechanic course and each semester consists of 6 months of duration.
What can I do after ITI Diesel Mechanic?
You can either go for higher studies in the same field such as courses like a diploma in mechanical engineering and a diploma in automobile engineering or you can start working in any company.
What are the responsibilities of a diesel mechanic?
Diesel mechanic work is to repair, maintain, and check all the systems in a vehicle are working properly or not.
Can I do a diploma after completion of ITI Diesel Mechanic?
Yes, you can do diploma courses after completion of the Diesel Mechanic in ITI course.
Is ITI diesel mechanic good?
It is a good trade because it is a short-term job-oriented course.
Is ITI diesel mechanics a degree course?
No, ITI is a vocational training course in which candidates get a training certificate in their specializations. Even if it is not a diploma-level course.
How many subjects are there in the ITI diesel mechanic course?
There are mainly 5 subjects in the ITI diesel mechanic course.
Which courses is best after ITI diesel mechanic?
A diploma in mechanical engineering and a diploma in automobile engineering is one of the best courses after the ITI diesel mechanic course.