RTO stand’s for Regional Transport Office is a government organization that is responsible for the registration of vehicles, issue of drivers licences, motor insurance, and grants certificates of fitness to transport vehicles, etc. It is one of the high reputed government jobs in India. Many students have a dream of becoming high-grade government officers like RTO officers. Are you one of them? If yes, and search the details about RTO and how to become RTO officers. In this article, I will discuss the work of RTO and what is the procedure to become an RTO officer.
Full-Form of RTO:- Regional Transport Officer
RTO is also known as RTA (Regional Transport Authority). Candidates who want to become an RTO officer must have passed in graduation from a recognized university. It is a Grade-B type officer having various facilities. To become an RTO office, candidates have to qualify for the RTO exam. State PSC conducts RTO examination. Every state in India has its own SPSC body. So, every state conducts its own RTO examination by its State Public Service Commission. Some of the State PSC bodies are as follow:
- Kerala Public Service Commission (KPSC)
- Assam Public Service Commission (APSC)
- Chhattisgarh Public Service Commission (CPSC)
- West Bengal Public Service Commission (WBPSC)
- Madhya Pradesh Public Service Commission (MPPSC)
- Delhi Public Service Commission (DPSC)
- Uttar Pradesh Public Service Commission (UPPSC)
- Bihar Public Service Commission (BPSC)
- Jharkhand Public Service Commission (JPSC)
Who is RTO Officer?
RTO is a Regional Transport Officer whose duty is to maintain the transporting department in a city. RTO officer has the responsibility to maintain the database of vehicles and driving licences in his area. Many types of vehicle documents like insurance, vehicle registration, license, fitness, permit, tax, pollution test etc are passed by the RTO officer after verification.
It is also the duty of the RTO officer to ensure that no vehicle is plying illegally in his entire area. If a vehicle is running on an illegal side, then the job of catching it is also the responsibility of the RTO officer. In India, every big city has an RTO officer. The Regional Transport Officer is given several facilities by the government.
Role & Responsibilities of RTO Officer
- It is the responsibility of the RTO to make the citizens comply with the Motor Vehicles Act.
- It is the responsibility of the RTO to provide the vehicle registration number to the people applying for the vehicle number.
- It is the responsibility of the RTO to take the driving test and give driving license to the people who apply for it.
- It is the responsibility of the RTO to pass all the documents required to drive the vehicle on the road.
Who can Become RTO Officer?
Candidates who want to become RTO officers must have a graduation degree in any discipline from a recognized university but there is no direct recruitment for the RTO post. Candidates first have to become lower grade officers like ARTO or MVI and after gaining some experience and based on work profile they get promotion to become RTO officers.
Diploma holders are also eligible to get some types of posts in the RTO office. Firstly, after successfully qualifying in all the phases of the RTO examination, aspirants get posted in the post of
- RTO Assistant Engineer
- RTO Clerk
- RTO Judicial Servant
Candidates get posted in any city in India.
Also Like to Know:- How to Become BDO Officer in India
Eligibility to Become RTO Officer
Candidates should be at least 21 years of age and must be Indian citizens. Candidates must have to full fill these eligibility criteria in order to become RTO Officer.
Qualification to Become RTO Officer
- Candidates must have passed in 12th or equivalent examination from a recognized board of education.
- Candidates should be passed in graduation from recognized university.
- Candidates should be passed in graduation from any discipline.
- Diploma candidates are also eligible for some post.
Age Limit to Become an RTO Officer
General Category:- 21 years to 30 years
OBC Category:- 21 years to 33 years
SC/ST Category:- 21 years to 37 years
RTO Officer Salary
The average salary of an RTO officer is Rs 30,000 to Rs 60,000 per month. However, the salary varies on various factors such as experience, work profile, area, performance, etc. Also, the salary varies from state to state.
RTO Salary:- ₹30,000 to ₹60,000 (Per Month)
Exam to Become RTO Officer
RTO exam is conducted by state PSC. The RTO exam is divided into three stages. The first stage is written examination. Candidates will be given 2 hours to complete the exam. You have to qualify for the written test so that you are eligible to go for the second round i.e. fitness test. The paper contains a total of 200 marks and various questions which come from topics like
- History of India Geography
- Ecology and Environment
- General Science
- Cultural Science
- National and International Current Events
- Agricultural Science
- Indian Law
- English Language
- Social Development
After that, you will have a medical and a physical test in which you must have to full fill the fitness criteria in order to go for the interview round. You can check the fitness criteria when the vacancies for RTO are released by the government authorities.
After passing all the tests in the fitness test round, you are eligible for the interview round. You have to attend the interview round along with full of preparation. The interview is taken by government officials. Some government officials will ask you some types of questions, put you in some situation, and know about you, and many more. You have to give your 100% in the interview. You will be selected on the basis of your performance in the interview. The interview is the last and most difficult stage because the majority of the candidates are not qualified in the interview round.
Benefits of RTO Officer
- RTO officer get a car for official work.
- In some places RTO officer may get accomodation facilities at very low cost.
- RTO officer get assistant for official work.
- RTO officer get a personal cabin for his work.
- RTO officer get reputed status in our society.
- RTO officer get handsome amount of salary.
- RTO officer get various types of allowance.
- RTO officer get medical facilities.
Steps to Become RTO Officer
Step 1 – Apply the RTO exam form when vacancies come.
Step 2 – Qualify the written examination.
Step 3 – Full fill all the criteria in the fitness test.
Step 4 – Attend the interview round and give your 100%.
Step 5 – After successfully qualifying in all the stages, you are ready to be posted in a city for ARTO or MVI post.
Step 6 – After some time, when you gain enough experience. You can get a promotion to become an RTO officer.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What are the streams I can take to be an RTO officer?
Although, you can take any discipline in graduation to be an RTO officer but you can prefer to choose streams like automobiles are helpful streams to become an RTO officer.
Who is the head of RTO?
The Transport Commissioner is the head of Regional Transport Officer.
What qualification do I need to become RTO?
You should graduation degree to become RTO.
Can I directly become a Regional Transport Officer?
No, you can not become an RTO officer directly. First, you have to become an RTO assistant engineer or RTO clerk and then after gaining some experience you can get a chance to become RTO.
Is RTO a good job?
Yes, it is definitely a good job in India.
What is the full form of RTO?
The full form of RTO is Regional Transport Officer.
What is the salary of an RTO officer?
The average salary of RTO is Rs.30,000 to Rs.60,000 per month.